26 July 2008

Empire Greatswords, part 3

I finally broke down, and bought some minis for my Empire army:



This is the command set for my Greatswords unit. Each box contains 5 minis - leader, musician, standard bearer, and two Greatswords.



Very nice minis - much better proportioned and finer detail than even the latest plastic offerings. I am not yet certain about what to do with the standard. My ability to paint flags is p o o r so I probably will replace it with a paper flag and brass tubing staff. The situation is a bit more complicated with the standard bearer's sword being attached to that same arm, but it should not be a problem. I might even keep the skull atop the staff - seems appropriate for the Greatswords.

The Greatswords unit will go behind the first spearmen unit and the Outriders on the painting queue. I'm thinking of a dark metallic color for the armor; it should stand out more against the brighter armor that will be used on the other units. The slashed tunics will be in alternating buff and blue, and the plumes will be white.

Incredibly, this is the first set of minis purchased for my Empire army. This box was $22 US - maybe a little steep for 5 metal minis but not too bad for nearly 2800 points of Empire troops!


.

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered gluing a paper standard ONTO the metal one? That might solve your problem of the sword and skull.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, but I think that I will dispose of the cross-bar on the staff altogether and let the flag flow freely behind the standard-bearer.


    Greg

    ReplyDelete