06 November 2010

25mm minis, part 2

I ordered a pair of test packs of 25mm Old Glory 'Age of Reason' minis from Grandiosity recently, and here are some examples:


MW-2 Marching, collarless coat




MW-3 Advancing, collarless coat


The Marlburian Wars packs are packaged a bit differently - 10 minis per pack for $14.50, not 30 per pack for $32. Grandiosity has them for a bit less, and purchase of the Old Glory Army card brings a big savings. Each pic shows the variations that were included in my packs.

However, I am the type of hobbyist that needs to be inspired by both the subject and the minis. Although these are good figures, and would look magnificent en masse, I will be starting out with skirmish size encounters and working up from there. These minis are just not inspiring me to paint them. Also, there is not much variety in the packs, and I think that I would like a bit more. This implies no fault to OG; it is just my view. Plus, I will note that the pics are not the best. I might take a look at their artillery when the time comes.


There won't be any more purchases for the rest of the year - I have spent far more this year on all of my gaming projects that the past two combined - so my planned purchase of the next set of samples, probably Front Rank, will need to wait until January or February 2011. So, until then I plan on working on the ship minis and searching through (and hopefully posting links and pics) other manufacturer's minis that will work with the Half Continent setting.

2 comments:

  1. Might I suggest that you try painting these (and any other) figures?

    Over the years I've found that often bare lead that didn't do much for me became very appealing once painted . . . and, sadly, the opposite as well. Figures that I liked became a pain to paint and didn't look good.

    So don't judge these (or any others) without painting a few . . . and, after all, you might as well since you won't be acquiring any more lead for a bit.


    -- Jeff

    PS, I'm neither a fan nor foe of OG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to your investigation of the naval side of affairs and await the models being built with great anticipation...

    As a huge Patrick O'Brian fan I detect some influences in Mr Cornish's work. I think I read in an interview with him that he liked the idea of 18th century naval warfare with sea monsters( and me also I guess!) whch would look grand upon the table top.

    I am interested by your figure comments and must (energy and time prevailing) get down to my samples to paint. I am hopeful they will serve well and I hope my brush can do them some little justice....

    Alan

    ReplyDelete